Thursday, June 18, 2009

HAPPINESS

What is happiness? Happiness is my sons tiny little arms around my neck as I tuck him in at night. Happiness is the smell of my new dog after I gave her a bath in my $22 bottle of Matrix conditioner. Happiness is the pizza buffet at Mazzios with Grammy and Jeeps. Happiness is the smell of rain from my back porch when I'm all alone with my thoughts. Happiness is the look on my son's face today when I left work early to take him to see a movie with his friend. Happiness is when all my coworkers stick their heads in the OR doors to check on me when I had a bad day this week. Happiness is when a friend from high school surprise visited me after Braden went to bed last night. Happiness is giving my money online to my church and IMMEDIATELY finding I have more money in my account that I thought I did. Happiness is when Braden tells me, "Momma, I love you the whole world," when I dropped him off this morning at school.
You see .... that is what I've been doing this week .... redefining "happiness." I so selfishly thought the happiness in my life revolved around me. When I found myself "unhappy" I started to let my life and my little family slip down with me. I'm not perfect, and I don't even claim to be completely "happy" right now, but I have a world of great things around me, more love than I can even describe in words, and a growing faith in the Lord makes me want to push forward and be a better person.

(Sorry Shelly! Is that better?)
I left work today 2 hours early to surprise Braden and Rhagan at school. I took them to see "Up" in 3D. It was really good.
Andres and Jackie went too!


Our Uncle Dre .... he's been a great support for us for the past 3 years. Thank you.
I'm not sure what we ever did without our Lucy. These two are inseparable, and she is such a blessing. She is actually an inspiration - she came from a not-so-perfect life, to a tad bit better one, and she is so sweet and loving. I'm not sure if I told the whole story, but she was rescued from a puppy-mill where she most likely took abuse from her owners, and certainly neglect. She also had heartworms, and was seconds away from being euthanized when her wonderful foster mom and angel, Julie Roberts, literally kidnapped her from the shelter and rallied around town for money to treat her. So many people and their kind hearts saved her from death and brought her to us in a strangely unexpected way. Many had/still have their doubts, but we are so thankful to have her and will do our best to be the best family for her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great testimony Amber to the goodness of the Lord and how He can remind us of our blessings when we think we have none!

The Moore Fam said...

so much better! and so inspiring :) when i'm having a bad day i'm just going to come to your blog and read this over and over. thanks, i really enjoyed it!

Annie said...

What a great message! We get so focused on OURSELVES that we take for granted all the little things that truly define what happiness is! Thanks for the encouraging words. I LOVE LUCY!!!

Amber Roberts said...

Annie - www.labrescue.net ;)